Introducing Communication Research: Paths of Inquiry teaches students the basics of communication research in an accessible manner by using interesting real-world examples, engaging application exercises, and up-to-date resources. Best-selling author Donald Treadwell and new co-author Andrea Davis guide readers through the process of conducting communication research and presenting findings for scholarly, professional, news/media, and web audiences.
New & Key Features
- New vignettes introduce a theoretical or methodological topic using language and contexts that students new to research can easily comprehend.
- New and updated content includes:
- “First Decisions”: expanded discussion of basic research perspectives, worldviews, communication metatheories, and communication research traditions.
- Bibliographic research: new content on identifying and assessing fake news.
- Survey methodology: new content on “big data” and surveys.
- Application exercises help students learn to make decisions about research practice.
- Ethics panels with questions facilitate discussion of research ethics in practice.
SAGE edge for instructors supports your teaching by making it easy to integrate quality content and create a rich learning environment for students with:
- a password-protected site for complete and protected access to all text-specific instructor resources;
- a test bank in Word® and ExamView that provide a diverse range of ready-to-use options that save you time. You can also easily edit any question and/or insert your own personalized questions;
- multimedia content that meet the learning needs of today’s media-savvy students and brings concepts to life;
- sample course syllabi for semester and quarter courses that provide suggested models for structuring your courses;
- editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides that offer complete flexibility for creating a multimedia presentation for your course;
- lecture notes that summarize key concepts by chapter to help you prepare for lectures and class discussions;
- recommended readings of suggested books and articles to supplement the textbook;
- chapter-specific discussion questions that allow students to engage with the material; and
- class activity suggestions to help students engage with the text content in class
SAGE edge for students enhances learning, it’s easy to use, and offers:
- an open-access site that makes it easy for students to maximize their study time, anywhere, anytime;
- eFlashcards that strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts;
- eQuizzes that allow students to practice and assess how much they've learned and where they need to focus their attention;
- Learning Objectives that reinforce the most important material;
- Video, multimedia, and web links that facilitate student use of Internet resources and further exploration of topics;
- industry case studies that can be used as a basis for "research in practice" discussions; and
- a five-minute APA guide to help students structure their papers and properly cite their sources