Whether you're writing an essay or assignment, report or dissertation, Academic Writing and Grammar for Students shows you how to improve the quality of your work at university – fast – by identifying and using the correct use of English grammar and punctuation in your academic writing.
Using tried and tested advice from student workshops, Alex Osmond shares practical examples that illustrate common mistakes, and shows you how to avoid them. You’ll also discover guidance on:
- Writing structure – the what and how of crafting sentences and paragraphs
- Conciseness – how to express your point succinctly and clearly, showing you understand the topic
- Effective proofreading – the importance of the final ‘tidy up’, so your work is ready to hand in
- Referencing – common systems, and how to reference consistently (and avoid plagiarism).
This new edition also includes separate chapters on critical thinking and referencing, exploring each topic in more detail, and learning outcomes in every chapter, so you can identify what new skills you’ll take away.
Student Success is a series of essential guides for students of all levels. From how to think critically and write great essays to boosting your employability and managing your wellbeing, the Student Success series helps you study smarter and get the best from your time at university.
Visit the SAGE Study Skills hub for tips, resources and videos on study success!
Visit the Online Resources page for extra materials to help with your academic writing:
- Alex's blog posts on academic writing
- A set of videos where Alex talks through topics in covered in the book
- A Facebook page sharing tips and advice.