An Introduction to Young Children With Special Needs
Birth Through Age Eight
- Richard M. Gargiulo - University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA
- Jennifer L. Kilgo - University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA
Early Childhood Special Education | Special & Inclusive Education
An Introduction to Young Children with Special Needs: Birth Through Age Eight is a comprehensive introduction to educational policies, programs, practices, and services for future practitioners serving young children with delays or disabilities in early intervention-early childhood special education (EI-ECSE). Thoughtfully addressing the needs of children at risk for learning or development delays or disabilities, revered authors Richard M. Gargiulo and Jennifer L. Kilgo offer evidence-based interventions and instructional techniques that provide students with a broad understanding of important theoretical and philosophical foundations, including evidence-based decision making, developmentally appropriate practices, cultural responsiveness, and activity-based intervention. The Fifth Edition includes the latest developments in and influences on the field of early intervention and early childhood special education, including the Division for Early Childhood’s (
A Complete Teaching & Learning Package
Contact your rep to request a demo, answer your questions, and explore the robust tools and resources available with this text.
- SAGE Premium Video
Included in the interactive eBook! SAGE Premium Video tools and resources boost comprehension and bolster analysis. Learn more.
- Interactive eBook
Your students save when you bundle the print version with the Interactive eBook (Bundle ISBN: 978-1-5443-6571-8), which includes access to SAGE Premium Video and other multimedia tools. Learn more.
- SAGE coursepacks
makesit easy to import our quality instructor and student resource content into your school’s learning management system (LMS). Intuitive and simple to use, SAGE coursepacks allows you to customize course content to meet your students’ needs. Learn more.
- SAGE edge
This companion website offers both instructors and students a robust online environment with an impressive array of teaching and learning resources. Learn more.
Instructors: SAGE coursepacks and SAGE edge online resources are included FREE with this text. For a brief demo, contact your sales representative today.
SAGE coursepacks for instructors
Say NO to…
- required access codes
- learning a new system
Say YES to…
- using only the content you want and need
- high-quality assessment and multimedia exercises
Don’t use an LMS platform? No problem, you can still access many of the online resources for your text via SAGE edge.
With SAGE coursepacks, you get:
- quality textbook content delivered directly into your LMS;
- an intuitive, simple format that makes it easy to integrate the material into your course with minimal effort; ·
- assessment tools that foster review, practice, and critical thinking, including:
- diagnostic chapter pre-tests and post-tests that identify opportunities for improvement, track student progress, and ensure mastery of key learning objectives
- test banks built on Bloom’s Taxonomy that provide a diverse range of test items with ExamView test generation
- activity and quiz options that allow you to choose only the assignments and tests you want
- instructions on how to use and integrate the comprehensive assessments and resources provided;
- assignable SAGE Premium Video (available via the interactive eBook version, linked through SAGE coursepacks) that is tied to learning objectives and produced exclusively for this text to bring concepts to life, featuring:
- real classroom footage designed to show teachers-in-training what to expect in teaching early childhood special education and leading early childhood classrooms
- corresponding multimedia assessment options that automatically feed to your
- a comprehensive, downloadable, easy-to-use Media Guide in the Coursepack for every video resource, listing the chapter to which the video content is tied and matching learning objective(s), with a helpful description of the video content, and assessment questions
- chapter-specific discussion questions to help launch engaging classroom interaction while reinforcing important content;
- exclusive SAGE journal articles built into course materials that tie influential research and scholarship to chapter concepts;
- editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides that offer flexibility when creating multimedia lectures so you don’t have to start from scratch;
- sample course syllabi with suggested models for structuring your course that give you options to customize it to your exact needs;
- lecture notes that summarize key concepts on a chapter-by-chapter basis to help you with preparation for lectures and class discussions;
- integrated links to the interactive eBook that make it easy for students to maximize their study time with this “anywhere, anytime” mobile-friendly version of the text. It also offers access to more digital tools and resources, including SAGE Premium Video; and
- select tables and figures from the textbook.
SAGE edge for students enhances learning, is easy to use, and offers:
- an open-access site that makes it easy for students to maximize their study time, anywhere, anytime;
- video resources that bring concepts to life, are tied to learning objectives, and are curated exclusively for this text;
- eFlashcards that strengthen
understandingof key terms and concepts; eQuizzesthat allow students to practice and assess how much they’ve learned and where they need to focus their attention;
- learning objectives that reinforce the most important material;
- exclusive access to influential SAGE journal articles that tie important research and scholarship to chapter concepts to strengthen learning; and
- exercises and meaningful Web links that facilitate student use of Internet resources, further exploration of topics, and responses to critical thinking questions.
“An Introduction to Young Children with Special Needs provides practical ready-to-implement strategies for teaching children with a variety of needs in inclusive environments for both new and seasoned teachers. The authors provide multimedia support to reinforce the rationale for curriculum, adaptations, and environmental design for classroom and home instruction of young children.”
“I think this text is one that an educator would find invaluable as a resource throughout their career.”
“A ‘go to book’ for introduction to early childhood special education.”