Constructing Grounded Theory
- Kathy Charmaz - Sonoma State University
Data Collection & Analysis | Qualitative Research (General) | Sociological Research Methods
This expanded second edition:
- explores how to effectively focus on data collection
- demonstrates how to use data for theorizing
- adds two new chapters that guide you through conducting and analysing interviews in grounded theory
- adds a new chapter on symbolic interactionism and grounded theory
- considers recent epistemological debates about the place of prior theory
- discusses the legacy of Anselm Strauss for grounded theory.
This is a seminal title for anyone serious about understanding and doing grounded theory research.
Charmaz' book is the key text for any researcher considering use of GT Method
Clear and easy to follow, recommended for those students using a grounded research methodology alongside a range of other research books that cover other theoretical approaches.
Using this book for students interested in using grounded theory for their thesis research
Recommended for I study
Those professional doctorate students who have used this text as background reading when considering the use of grounded theory for their research have found it thorough, clear and well-illustrated. The chapters on coding practices seem to be particularly helpful.
Excellent book. I am recommding this for our students who use Grounded Theory as a method in their assignment or dissertation.
Excellent book but more suitable for MSc and PhD students rather than BSc students.
An important guide to a key methodological approach frequently used by the New and Early Career Researchers I work with.
This is an excellent book for students embarking on using grounded theory in their research projects. Charmaz explains the how to and the why in a way that conveys GT as a justifiable way of generating insights that are grounded in participant data.
One of the best texts on GT. Much improved over earlier edition. I and students love this text and author!
- Exploration of how to effectively focus on data collection
- Coverage of how to use data for theorizing
- Two new chapters on conducting and analysing interviews in grounded theory
- A new chapter on symbolic interactionism and grounded theory
- Coverage of recent epistemological debates about the place of prior theory
- Discussion of the legacy of Anselm Strauss for grounded theory.
Sample Materials & Chapters
Chapter Nine: Reconstructing Theorizing in Grounded Theory Studies