Providing clear guidance on how to develop early literacy, this book offers support with the planning and teaching of this vital aspect of the curriculum using innovative and exciting methods.
Linking theory with practice, topics covered include:
- babies and very early communication
- the importance of role play corners
- outdoor learning and literacy
- how rhyme and repetition help to develop literacy
- teaching literacy to children who have English as an Additional Language (EAL)
- literacy and diversity
- using picture books to develop literacy
- supporting transitions
- different approaches to the teaching of phonics and early reading.
Each chapter has learning objectives, case studies featuring younger and older children from the Birth to 8 age range, a summary and suggested Further Reading. This text is essential reading for those on Early Childhood Studies, Early Years, Primary PGCE and Early Years teacher education courses.
Virginia Bower is Senior Lecturer at Canterbury Christ Church University.