Human Resource Management
People, Data, and Analytics
- Talya Bauer - Portland State University, USA
- Berrin Erdogan - Portland State University, USA
- David Caughlin - Portland State University, USA
- Donald Truxillo - University of Limerick, Ireland
Business & Management (General) | Human Resource Management
Human resources is rapidly evolving into a data-rich field but with big data comes big decisions. The best companies understand how to use data to make strategic workforce decisions and gain significant competitive advantage.
Human Resource Management: People, Data, and Analytics introduces students to the fundamentals of talent management with integrated coverage of data analytics. Features tied to SHRM competencies and data exercises give students hands-on opportunities to practice the analytical and decision-making skills they need to excel in today’s job market. Engaging examples illustrate key HRM concepts and theories, which brings many traditional HRM topics to life. Whether your students are future managers or future HR professionals, they will learn best practices for managing talent in the changing workplace.
FREE POSTER: Am I Making a Good Human Resource Management Decision?
A Complete Teaching & Learning Package
SAGE Premium Video
Included in the Interactive eBook! SAGE Premium Video tools and resources boost comprehension and bolster analysis. Videos featured include Inside HR interviews where students can hear how real companies are using HR to gain competitive advantage, as well as SHRM and TedTalk videos. Learn more.
Includes access to SAGE Premium Video, multimedia tools, and much more! Save when you bundle the interactive eBook with the print version. Order using bundle ISBN: 978-1-5443-6572-5. Learn more.
FREE! Easily import our quality instructor and student resource content into your school’s learning management system (LMS) and save time. Learn more.
FREE online resources for students that make learning easier. See how your students benefit.
Instructors: The following online resources are included FREE with this text. For a brief demo, contact your sales representative today.
SAGE COURSEPACKS FOR INSTRUCTORS makes it easy to import our quality content into your school’s learning management system (LMS)*. Intuitive and simple to use, it allows you to
Say NO to…
- required access codes
- learning a new system
Say YES to…
- using only the content you want and need
- high-quality assessment and multimedia exercises
*For use in: Blackboard, Canvas, Brightspace by Desire2Learn (D2L), and Moodle
Don’t use an LMS platform? No problem, you can still access many of the online resources for your text via SAGE edge.
SAGE coursepacks includes:
- Our content delivered directly into your LMS
- Intuitive, simple format that makes it easy to integrate the material into your course with minimal effort
- Assessment tools that foster review, practice, and critical thinking, and offer a more complete way to measure student engagement, including:
- Diagnostic chapter pre tests and post tests that identify opportunities for improvement, track student progress, and ensure mastery of key learning objectives
- Test banks built on Bloom’s Taxonomy and tied to AASCB guidelines and SHRM guidelines that provide a diverse range of test items with ExamView test generation
- Activity and quiz options that allow you to choose only the assignments and tests you want
- Instructions on how to use and integrate the comprehensive assessments and resources provided
- Chapter-specific discussion questions to help launch engaging classroom interaction while reinforcing important content
- Assignable SAGE Premium Video (available via the Interactive eBook version, linked through SAGE coursepacks) that is tied to learning objectives, and curated and produced exclusively for this text to bring concepts to life and appeal to different learning styles, featuring:
- Inside HR video interviews of real-world professionals demonstrating how they use HR concepts in their day-to-day work
- SHRM and TEDTalk videos illustrate human resource management concepts using a variety of relatable scenarios and assessment questions challenge students to apply and analyze these workplace situations
- Corresponding multimedia assessment options that automatically feed to your gradebook
- Comprehensive, downloadable, easy-to-use Media Guide in the Coursepack for every video resource, listing the chapter to which the video content is tied, matching learning objective(s), a helpful description of the video content, and assessment questions
- Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides that offer flexibility when creating multimedia lectures so you don’t have to start from scratch but you can customize to your exact needs
- Sample course syllabi with suggested models for structuring your course that give you options to customize your course in a way that is perfect for you
- Lecture notes that summarize key concepts on a chapter-by-chapter basis to help you with preparation for lectures and class discussions
- Integrated links to the Interactive eBook that make it easy for your students to maximize their study time with this “anywhere, anytime” mobile-friendly version of the text. It also offers access to more digital tools and resources, including SAGE Premium Video and additional cases
- Instructor’s Manual includes answers to in-text questions, discussion questions, case notes, and exercises
- All tables and figures from the textbook
SAGE EDGE FOR STUDENTS enhances learning, it’s easy to use, and offers:
- eFlashcards that strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts, and make it easy to maximize student study time, anywhere, anytime
- eQuizzes that allow students to assess how much they’ve learned and where they need to focus your attention
- Chapter learning objectives that reinforce the most important material
- Video resources that bring concepts to life, are tied to learning objectives, and are curated and produced exclusively for this text
- SAGE journal articles that tie important research and scholarship to chapter concepts to strengthen learning
“A refreshing approach to HRM that highlights the importance of HRM in maintaining and building the bottom line for companies and enhancing work environments.”
“The practice and science of HR come together!”
“I would say that this HR textbook is a more research-focused and data-driven textbook. It really focuses on the importance of leveraging data to make more informed HR decisions. It is evidence-based and draws more heavily on research. I think it is a textbook that would challenge our students more and better prepare them for the changing nature of human resources.”
“[This is] an upper-level HRM textbook that presents material with a data-focused approach. The textbook covers traditional HRM concepts such as job analysis, talent management, and occupational safety and health through the use of a data-analytics approach, in which students actually practice implementing HRM decisions using data.”
“[This is] the start of a new era in HR textbooks by linking content to the SHRM competencies and making the concepts more applicable in practice using the EBDM approach.”
“Very quantitative in its application. References a great deal of research from SHRM and heavy emphasis on data analytics.”
“The text provides relevant and current research data through real world scenarios which impacts current HRM challenges.”
“This text provides a very engaging and illustrative overview and analysis of current topics in HRM. It engages the students to think beyond the content of the book and evaluate how they have been or how they want to be treated in organizations from an HR perspective.”
“This text is an excellent Introduction to Human Resources text. Its major advantage over competing books is the conveying the growing importance of analytics in HR management.”
“This textbook is very well written and extremely detailed. I feel like all of the HR books I have used are not this in-depth in their scope nor do they cover so many important topics. In addition, all of the information in the text is supported by research and current real-world examples.”
Sample Materials & Chapters
1. Introduction to Human Resource Management
2. Strategic HRM, Data-Driven Decision Making, and HR Analytics