Know Your Variables
Little Quick Fix
- John MacInnes - University of Edinburgh, UK
Little Quick Fix
Quantitative/Statistical Research (General) | Research Design | Study Skills (UG)
Know Your Variables unlocks the gate to simple data analysis for any stats course. Packed with lively examples it shows students what variables are and why looking for relationships between them is so interesting and so powerful.
Little Quick Fix titles provide quick but authoritative answers to the problems, hurdles, and assessment points students face in the research course, project proposal, or design - whatever their methods learning is.
- Lively, ultra-modern design; full-colour, each page a tailored design.
- An hour's read. Easy to dip in and out of with clear navigation enables the reader to find what she needs - quick.
- Direct written style gets to the point with clear language. Nothing needs to be read twice. No fluff.
- Learning is reinforced through a 2-minute overview summary; 3-second summaries with super-quick Q&A
- DIY tasks create a work plan to accomplish a task, do a self-check quiz, solve a problem, get students to what they need to show their supervisor.
- Checkpoints in each section make sure students are nailing it as they go and support self-directed learning.
- How do I know I’m done? Each Little Quick Fix wraps up with a finale checklist that allows the reader to self-assess they’ve got what they need to progress, submit, or ace the test or task.
This outstanding book by John MacInnes starts asking the question: "why do we need variables?" and it immediately contextualises this brilliant introductory text within daily life and the central importance of thinking about how we measure, compare, contrast and explore all things and discover the landscape of rigorous research.
Not sufficient for my teaching purposes
excellent little book that every research student should own
Because even students in advanced research methods courses are often confused about the different definitions and types of variables, this booklet is an excellent resource for undergraduates at all levels.