What is the place of leisure in societies where people complain of 'over-work'? How do personal freedom and choice relate to the inequalities of class, gender, disability and ethnicity?
This critical introduction to the field offers a systematic account of the meaning and structure of leisure today.
• situates the student in the field
• provides a comprehensive account of the leading approaches to leisure
• explores the influence of class, race, gender, ethnicity, disability and age
• discusses to role of the sate
• examines leisure in the context of changing work relationships
• locates leisure in the debate around globalization
In short, this is an indispensable, one-stop guide to understanding leisure.