Lessons and Units for Closer Reading, Grades K-2
Ready-to-Go Resources and Assessment Tools Galore
- Nancy Boyles - Southern Connecticut State University, USA
Foreword by Tanny McGregor
Literacy (Primary/Elementary) | Reading (Primary/Elementary) | Teaching Methods & Learning Styles
Every teacher in K-2 who has ever wished for comprehension lessons that get students where they need to be in reading, talking, and writing about texts, take notice: your wish just came true.
With Lessons and Units for Closer Reading: K-2 you get 20 initial close reading lessons and 80 follow-up comprehension skill lessons that expertly scaffold young readers. What makes these lessons so spot-on is that Nancy combed through hundreds of standards and standardized assessments to arrive at the 12 skills that matter most at K–2.
The lessons are arranged into 5 units of study, providing you with instant standards-aligned curriculum. Other can’t-live-without features:
- 12 illustrated reproducible sets of Active Reader Cards that give children tactile and visual support for key comprehension skills (available to print in four-color!)
- Step-by-step and day–by-day how-to’s for the initial lessons and follow-up lessons, including text-dependent questions for every featured picture book
- Illustrated, short fables that engage kids with themes including making choices, making a difference, and making sense of character traits
- 12 Formative Assessments that take the scare factor out of testing for young learners with lots of graphic support and options for oral and written tasks
- Performance criteria that give you standards-aligned means of measuring what your students have learned, so you can adjust your instruction
Teachers in K-2: Nancy knows what an amazing feat you pull off each year, taking young learners from 0-60 in the space of the school year. With Lessons and Units for Closer Reading, she gives you the gift of time, with a treasure trove of at-the-ready materials.
Nancy Boyles, a former classroom teacher, is the author of many best-selling books and a literacy consultant who provides curriculum support nationwide. This book is part of a three-part series that offers schools a K-6 solution for reading instruction.