Managing Hospitality Organizations
Achieving Excellence in the Guest Experience
- Robert C. Ford - University of Central Florida, USA
- Michael C. Sturman - Rutgers University, USA
Business & Management (General) | Hospitality, Travel & Tourism Management | Tourism Studies
Prepares students for a future career in hospitality management by outlining the key skills needed to become a successful manager in the service industry, with a particular emphasis on ensuring managers provide guests with a high-quality customer experience.
The book breaks hospitality management down into core principles, with each chapter focusing on a specific factor, including strategy, staffing and systems. All of which are supported by practical advice, examples, and Wow! Boxes, which provide evidence of best practice in service-sector organizations, including Walt Disney, Southwest Airlines, and The Four Seasons.
The new edition reflects the latest changes in the service industry and newer developments related to sustainability and technology. There is also an outline of the framework needed to motivate employees to provide exceptional service, and how to create a culture that consistently delivers a top quality customer experience.
The book is supported by online resources for instructors and students, including: Test Bank, PowerPoint slides, an Instructor’s Manual, Multimedia, Exercises and Assignments, Sample Syllabi, Flashcards, and Quizzes.
Ideal reading for undergraduate students on Hospitality Management and Hotel Management courses.
Instructor Teaching Site (Password Protected)
SAGE edge for Instructors, supports your teaching by making it easy to integrate quality content and create a rich learning environment for students.
- Test banks provide a diverse range of pre-written options as well as the opportunity to edit any question and/or insert your own personalized questions to effectively assess students’ progress and understanding
- Sample course syllabi provide suggested models for structuring your courses
- Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides offer complete flexibility for creating a multimedia presentation for your course
- The Instructor's Manual contains numerous resources for each chapter, including lecture outlines, answers to review questions, suggested activities, suggested discussion topics for Ethics in Business Feature, and case notes. These resources are collated in the Instructor's Manual files, and are also available separately on this website.
- Multimedia content includes videos that appeal to students with different learning styles
- Additional Readings provide a jumping-off point for course assignments, papers, research, group work, and class discussion.
Student Study Site (Open Access)
SAGE edge for Students provides a personalized approach to help students accomplish their coursework goals in an easy-to-use learning environment.
- Mobile-friendly eFlashcards strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts
- Mobile-friendly practice quizzes allow students to independently assess their mastery of course material
- Learning objectives reinforce the most important material
- Multimedia resources facilitate student use of Internet resources, further exploration of topics, and responses to critical thinking questions
- Additional Readings for further study.
“A perfect book for any Hospitality program, excellent instructor support, and a good resource for students.”
“The book is a great addition to both classroom instruction and scholarly literature of the hospitality and service field. It covers various management tactics on service responsibilities, problems, and approaches to solutions. It challenges readers to identify issues associated with the problem and think outside the box to solve problems in the workplace. This is one of the most needed and highest-quality books we have in the field.”
“This detail oriented book not only covers key concepts but utilizes real-life examples to make the content more convincing and validated. It is also a good book for in-class discussions and application practices.”
“A wide-ranging comprehensive text, looking at key contemporary issues in hospitality.”
“We all know how important it is to turn customers into "Raving Fans"—but getting everyone in an organization on board takes thoughtful action. Managing Hospitality Organizations offers fourteen principles of service that prove when you serve your people well, they will pass that service on to your customers. Whether you are a student or a manager on the front lines, if you want to create “Raving Fans”, this book is for you!”
“Although Bob credits me as the ‘Father of Guestology’, he and Mike have developed the concept of Guestology into an entire book that perfectly captures what it means to manage an organization from the guest's point of view. This is an excellent text to learn how to use the management philosophy I and my team pioneered to ensure that in every phase of the business, from the planning and design of new parks and attractions to their everyday operations, all Disney cast members are focused on satisfying and exceeding the Guest's wants, needs, and expectations."
"The second edition of Robert Ford and Michael C. Sturman's excellent text, Managing Hospitality Organizations, is a must read for students pursuing careers in the business of hospitality and the faculty who facilitate their learning. This new edition retains the right mix of theory and practice that students need, call it the art and science of hospitality, while incorporating key changes to how hospitality businesses interact with and satisfy their customers today, including the evolving role of technology in service strategies, systems and staffing and the changing nature of customers themselves. I congratulate the authors on a job well done!"
Sample Materials & Chapters
1. The Basics of Wow! The Guest Knows Best
4. Developing the Hospitality Culture—Everyone Serves!