Nontraditional Media in Marketing and Advertising
- Robyn Blakeman - University of Tennessee at Knoxville
Electronic Marketing | Marketing Communications | Social Marketing
The text looks at why a marketing team might employ the use of alternative media vehicles over (or alongside) more traditional ones, how it can be used to attract smaller niche markets, and where alternative media is headed. Key features of this book include:
• Specific alternative media methods are discussed in separate chapters, including electronic and social media, mobile media, out-of-home and transit media, and direct marketing and sales.
• Numerous real-world case and visual examples are provided, including augmented reality, mobile GPS couponing, interactive television, cinema advertising, live mobile billboards, poster campaigns and many more.
• Checklists are included to provide students with a step-by-step guide to how to incorporate alternative media into future marketing campaigns.
• Critical thinking questions and exercises are provided to guide students in their own alternative media marketing efforts.
"...The author offers guidelines and strategies for using nontradition media, with separate chapters devoted to electronic, social, mobile, and transit and out-of-home media....[Blakeman] builds out from traditional media constructs, grafting the new onto the traditional trunk....The text is clear and concise, and the material is well presented with many real-world examples. A transitional text for a transitional time. Summing Up: Recommended."
This book provides useful examples in its own 'non-traditional' style. Good background reading.
A useful complementary textbook to more standard textbooks in the area of IMC. It needs to be used together with a less specilised textbook, but it does cover the growing areas of new media which are usually short-changed in more traditional textbooks.
This is recommended on the reading list to all of my students parttaking in the marketing communications module.
An interesting and good supportive read for marketing communications students
"Nontraditional Media in Marketing and Advertising" provides a very good insight on the use of alternative media for marketing purposes. The author includes accurate and relevant definitions within the marketing area along with actual and catchy examples of marketing and advertising strategies. The exercises at the end of each chapter lead the reader to focus on the essential points and to systematize the acquired information.