Some subscription journals charge authors page or publication charges to publish their article. There has been ambiguity when an article, from one of these journals, has any of these associated costs as well as open access (OA) as to what should be charged. Therefore, SAGE is clarifying its policy on the subject (July 2022).
There are two ways an article in a subscription journal can publish OA, one is through requesting to publish your article OA, this is called SAGE Choice, or the article may have been identified as part of one of our Open Access Sales Deals (OASD).
Terms and Definitions
- Page Charges: Page charges are not very common, but still exist. Historically page charges were introduced to cover the cost of printing an article. Page charges is a set price per published page incurred by authors, for instance $75 or $150 per page. The author guidelines should be transparent in the price per page authors will incur, even though you may not get the final invoice until the article is copyedited and typeset. Page charges will only be charged if the paper has undergone peer review and is ultimately accepted.
- Publication Charges: Publication Charges is a set price per published article incurred by authors, for instance $775 per article. The author guidelines should be transparent in the price per page authors will incur, even though you may not get the final invoice until the article is copyedited and typeset. Publication Charges will only be charged if the paper has undergone peer review and is ultimately accepted.
- Colour Charges: We have a vast majority of journals who allow authors to publish their images and figures in colour online, at no additional cost. However, some journals do charge authors to publish their images and figures in colour in the print edition. For instance, some SAGE Publishing journals the first colour image is $800, and it is $200 for any additional colour images within the same contribution.
For more information on these terms please refer here: What is the difference between APCs and page charges? A guide to potential costs associated with publishing your manuscript — SAGE Perspectives Blog (sagepub.com)
Q. My article is going to be made OA by one of the two options, do I have to pay the page, publication, or colour charge?
A. Yes. This is because each charge is covering a different cost.
We currently have active journals with page or publication charges, please see the below list:
- HIP International
- The International Journal of Artificial Organs
- Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism
- Journal of Scleroderma and Related Disorders
- The Journal of Vascular Access
- Scandinavian Journal of Public Health
- Tumori Journal
- Textile Research Journal
- Food and Nutrition Bulletin
- JDR Clinical & Translational Research
- Journal of Dental Research
- Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation
- Experimental Biology and Medicine