Psychological Insights and Perspectives
- Timothy C. Brock - Ohio State University, USA
- Melanie C. Green - University at Buffalo, State University of New York, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA
Attitudes | Marketing Strategy & Theory | Persuasion
Persuasion is a powerful force - it can be used to reconfigure millions of minds and hearts. The key targets of persuasion are our attitudes and opinions. Whether it is an attitude toward a political candidate, a social policy, an organization, a person, or a consumer product, the power of persuasion can remake us into persons who are irrevocably changed. Sometimes imperceptibly, oftentimes dramatically.
This Second Edition has been revised and updated to reflect new research from the past decade. It includes entirely new chapters on prejudice, persuasiveness of narratives, mass media and political persuasion, small groups and advertising.
Key Features include:
- Up-to-date coverage of key topics that are authored by leading psychology-of-persuasion researchers, making this the most comprehensive and authoritative textbook on persuasion
- Uses an engaging writing style that avoids highly technical language, along with syndicated cartoons, photos, and advertisements to enhance student comprehension
- Includes a comprehensive glossary at the end of the book for the necessary technical terms
- Provides end-of-chapter summaries and a full set of references to guide students to more in-depth resources on each topic.
"It bodes well for the teaching and giving away of psychology that so many respected researchers are able and willing to write well and simplify without oversimplifying their findings. ... The contributors represent an unusual breadth of disciplines and academic rank, yet, while preserving their own style of writing, they present important material in a provocative, engaging, and interesting fashion. The scholarship behind the writing and the findings is incontrovertible. This book should have wide appeal not only for advanced undergraduates in psychology but also to a variety of other disciplines, such as marketing, political science, and advertising."
While some of the psychological aspects were suitable for my course objectives - it is a communication course, not a psychology course, so a lot of it focused too much on the psych for my purposes. However, incredibly well written and insightful!
The book may be used for teachers / instructors on developing themselves and bring onwards a shorter version to the students.
This book really supported my understanding in a fascinating area. The aspects that focus on attitudes really aided my knowledge for a non-specialist in psychology field.
Covers most of the topics I am interested to address in my class, and written in a way appropriate for undergraduates
Well constructed and structured, Illustrations/examples provided are sufficient. Good balance btw scientific research and down-to-earth elements, a pre-requisite for French Business School students.
Should definitly be considered for an "introduction" course