Political Science Research Methods
- Janet Buttolph Johnson - University of Delaware, USA
- H. T. Reynolds - University of Delaware, USA
- Jason D. Mycoff - University of Delaware, USA
Research Methods | Research Methods (General)
—Amanda M. Rosen, Webster University
Understand the “how” and the “why” behind research in political science.
Political Science Research Methods helps students to understand the logic behind research design by guiding them through a step-by-step process that explains when and why a researcher would pursue different kinds of methods. The highly anticipated Ninth Edition of this trusted resource provides more international examples, an increased focus on the role ethics play in the research process, increased attention to qualitative research methods, and expanded coverage on the role of the internet in research and analysis.
A Complete Teaching & Learning Package
FREE! Easily import our quality instructor and student resource content into your school’s learning management system (LMS) and save time. Learn more.
FREE online resources for students that make learning easier. See how your students benefit.
Bundle with the accompanying workbook for only $15 more!
Working with Political Science Research Methods, Fifth Edition offers students multiple opportunities to practice each of the methods presented in the core text. This helpful supplement breaks each aspect of the research process into manageable parts and features new exercises and updated data sets. A solutions manual with answers to the workbook is available to adopters.
Your students save when you order the workbook bundled with the text.
Use bundle ISBN 978-1-5443-3157-7.
SAGE COURSEPACKS FOR INSTRUCTORS makes it easy to import our quality content into your school’s learning management system (LMS)*. Intuitive and simple to use, it allows you to
Say NO to…
- required access codes
- learning a new system
Say YES to…
- using only the content you want and need
- high-quality assessment and multimedia exercises
*For use in: Blackboard, Canvas, Brightspace by Desire2Learn (D2L), and Moodle
Don’t use an LMS platform? No problem, you can still access many of the online resources for your text via SAGE edge.
SAGE coursepacks includes:
- Our content delivered directly into your LMS
- Intuitive, simple format that makes it easy to integrate the material into your course with minimal effort
- Assessment tools that foster review, practice, and critical thinking, and offer a more complete way to measure student engagement, including:
- Chapter quizzes that identify opportunities for improvement and ensure mastery of key learning objectives
- Test banks built on Bloom’s Taxonomy that provide a diverse range of test items with ExamView test generation
- Activity and quiz options that allow you to choose only the assignments and tests you want
- Instructions on how to use and integrate the comprehensive assessments and resources provided
- Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides that offer flexibility when creating multimedia lectures so you don’t have to start from scratch but you can customize to your exact needs
- Sample course syllabi with suggested models for structuring your course that give you options to customize your course in a way that is perfect for you
- Instructor manual for each chapter, including a chapter overview, learning objectives, lecture outline, discussion questions, and written assignments and projects, to support your teaching
- All tables and figures from the textbook
- Solutions manual and data sets that accompany the exercises in Working with Political Science Research Methods, Fifth Edition
Student Study Site (Open Access)
SAGE EDGE FOR STUDENTS enhances learning, it’s easy to use, and offers:
- Flashcards that strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts, and make it easy to maximize student study time, anywhere, anytime
- Practice quizzes that allow students to assess how much they’ve learned and where they need to focus your attention
- Chapter summaries that reinforce the most important material
- Chapter-specific study questions that allow students to engage with the material
- Meaningful web links that facilitate student use of Internet resources and further exploration of topics
- Data sets that accompany the exercises in Working with Political Science Research Methods, Fifth Edition
“I like the focus on empiricism and the attempt to illustrate numerous research puzzles throughout.”
“A great overview of research methods written by and for political scientists.”
“This textbook is an informative and broad first foray into political science research methods that is appropriate for any early undergraduate student.”
“This is a solid text that walks students through the entire process of empirical quantitative research methods in political science without being too math-heavy. Students will be able to read this book and come away with an increased understanding of how we use research methods in political science.”
Language is very simple and a good introductory book for junior class.
Compared to other introductory political science research methods books, I find this one to be very hands-on, easy to follow, and visually appealing. I am excited to use this textbook for the first time in the summer and will provide feedback to you all from my students about the textbook! Thank you!
Sample Materials & Chapters
Chapter 7. Qualitative Research: Case Study Designs