GIGA's Open Access Journals Now Published by SAGE
SAGE Publishing, one of the world’s leading independent and academic publishers and the GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies have recently partnered to publish GIGA`s open access journals.
From 2019 onwards GIGA's four journals will be published by SAGE, maintaining the platinum standard of the open access model. The GIGA is an independent social science research institute with a unique “global approach” to scholarship, dedicated to academic excellence, and mandated to engage in knowledge transfer. The journals publish high-quality, original research on current issues in a format and style that is accessible across disciplines, and is of interest to scholars and practitioners researching the regions.
The GIGA Journal Family provides the academic community worldwide with a platform to submit cutting-edge research on and from Africa, China, Southeast Asia, and Latin America for peer-review, and to publish the latest findings under conditions of full open access.
The portfolio of the journals is:
- Africa Spectrum, focussed on socially relevant issues related to political, economic, and socio-cultural developments and events in Africa as well as on Africa's role within the international system. The journal closely collaborates with the African Studies Association in Germany (Vereinigung für Afrikawissenschaften in Deutschland, VAD), and it is ranked in the Social Science Citation Index.
- Journal of Current Chinese Affairs, focussed on current developments in Greater China and is edited in close collaboration with the Lau China Institute at King’s College London. It publishes on China's global and regional roles; political, economic, and social developments including foreign affairs, business, finance, cultural industries, religion, education, and science and technology.
- Journal of Current Southeast Asian Affairs, focussed on current developments in international relations, politics, economics, society, education, environment, and law in the region. It is the leading academic journal devoted exclusively to Southeast Asia.
- Journal of Politics in Latin America, focussed on comparative politics research on Latin America. The journal is dedicated to promoting a deeper understanding of the political process and behaviour as well as of political institutions and public policy in the region.
Professor Amrita Narlikar, President of the GIGA, remarked:
“Since 2009, the GIGA has maintained a policy of full open-access publishing without author fees or reader fees. Our cooperation with SAGE represents the vital step to take our journals to the next level, while abiding by our firm commitment to maintain the platinum principle of open access. Together we aim for the highest standards of academic excellence, global reach, and real-world impact.”
Miranda Nunhofer, Vice President, HSS Journals, SAGE Publishing added:
“SAGE has always been driven by the mission to support the global dissemination of and engagement with research, through a platform that enables the greatest accessibility. SAGE and the GIGA share a commitment to scientific excellence, with a clear alignment in our publishing missions and approach to open access (OA). We look forward to sharing our expertise with the editorial boards and providing guidance to enhance the research base of these four OA titles.”
# # #
# # #
The GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies is an independent social science research institute based in Hamburg, Germany. The GIGA conducts research with real-world relevance on Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East, and on global developments. The GIGA is committed to a “global approach” to scholarship, which works with perspectives, concepts, and experiences from different world regions. The institute is dedicated to providing research-based policy advice. With this mandate, the GIGA aims to push the boundaries of research and to achieve both academic and societal impact. We reach out to a global audience and collaborate with leading institutions and researchers worldwide. As a member of the Leibniz Association, the institute is committed to science for the benefit of society. https://www.giga-hamburg.de/en
Sara Miller McCune founded SAGE Publishing in 1965 to support the dissemination of usable knowledge and educate a global community. SAGE is a leading international provider of innovative, high-quality content publishing more than 1,000 journals and over 900 new books each year, spanning a wide range of subject areas. Our growing selection of library products includes archives, data, case studies and video. SAGE remains majority owned by our founder and after her lifetime will become owned by a charitable trust that secures the company’s continued independence. Principal offices are located in Los Angeles, London, New Delhi, Singapore, Washington DC and Melbourne. www.sagepublishing.com
SAGE issues press releases relating to articles or book extracts under embargo to a database of journalists. If you are a journalist and would like to receive press releases, contact Camille Gamboa or Katie Baker for further information.
- Camille Gamboa, PR and Public Affairs Manager: email@example.com / Tel: 805-410-7441
- Katie Baker, PR and Public Affairs Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org / Tel: +44 (0)20 7324 8719
Interested in signing up to receive our latest press announcements? Email us at: email@example.com