Primary Mathematics: Teaching Theory and Practice
- Claire Mooney - Trent University, CA
- Mary Briggs - Oxford Brookes University, Oxford, UK
- Alice Hansen - Education Consultant
- Judith McCullouch - University of Winchester, UK
- Mike Fletcher - Sussex University, UK
Achieving QTS Series
Mathematics & Numeracy | Primary Maths | Primary Teacher Training
An extensive knowledge of the primary Mathematics curriculum is not enough for trainee teachers, they need to know how to teach Mathematics in the primary classroom.
This is the essential teaching theory and practice text for primary Mathematics that takes a focused look at the practical aspects of teaching. It covers the important skills of classroom management, planning, monitoring and assessment and relates these specifically to primary Maths. Practical guidance, features and resources help students translate their learning to the classroom and understand the wider context of teaching:
- Online practical lesson ideas for the classroom
- The Primary National Curriculum for Mathematics in Key Stages one and two
- Tips for planning primary Maths
- Useful weblinks for primary Mathematics teaching
The ninth edition of this popular book includes a new chapter on 'Mathematics in the primary classroom' by Ashley Compton exploring primary mathematics teaching today. It is also updated to include the new 'Ready to progress' criteria.
We have referenced previous editions of this text on the course. It continues to provide a succinct overview of key ideas related to teaching primary maths.
A very clearly written book which explains things simply. Goes along with the " Knowledge and Understanding" book.