Designing and Conducting Research With a Real-World Focus
- Carrie A. Picardi - University of Bridgeport, USA
- Kevin D. Masick - Krasnoff Quality Management Institute, a division of the North Shore-LIJ Health System
Taking research methods beyond the classroom and into the field
Research Methods: Designing and Conducting Research with a Real-World Focus provides the tools required to conduct relevant, high-quality research in both the classroom and the field. Carrie A. Picardi and Kevin D. Masick—psychologists with expertise in both teaching research methods and applying methods to diverse field settings—offer a unique perspective by integrating current research articles with field-specific scenarios. They draw from research methodology tactics, strategy, and constraints from practitioners across the social sciences and in business. This text effectively bridges the gap between theory and practice by demonstrating how research is done within an organizational setting, and supplies students with relevant, applicable examples to learn from.
- Provides tools and tips from current practitioners across the social sciences and in business—including I/O and business professionals in corporate, education, non-profit and public sector settings—to give students a taste of real-world experience thoughout the book.
- Utilizes current research articles in business and psychology journals to supplement discussion of complex concepts and reinforce the text’s applied focus.
- Critically evaluates current research and practitioner examples to help students integrate research methodology concepts from theory to practice.
- Details concepts and offers applied examples of validity, threats to validity, and reliability using practitioner scenarios and current literature.
- Incorporates statistical terms, such as descriptive and inferential statistics, measures of variability, scales of measurement, non-parametric and parametric statistics and their relationship to research methodology.
- Contains a guide to reading, interpreting, and critiquing research articles, including an explanation of research article structure, format, and focus of each section.
- Includes a section on writing research using APA format.
Password-protected Instructor Resources include:
- Editable, chapter-specific Microsoft® PowerPoint® slides offer you complete flexibility in easily creating a multimedia presentation for your course. Highlight essential content, features, and artwork from the book.
I never received this book
A comprehensive resource for the beginner researcher highlighting the basics of research.
A good structured book that allows students to work through their project ideas and designs. Glossary and content boxes a good additional to class and structured activities.
Comprehensive and detailed overview of research methodology designs. Good book for undergraduate students undertaking research projects or dissertations. Easy to understand with practical examples outlines.
The real strength of this book is the way it approaches a potentially confusing subject in anunderstandable manner. Research terminology is explained with clarity, and the use of real world examples provides added perspective. I would recommend this book to any undergraduate wishing to conduct their own research project and or dissertation.
This book shouldn't really be called "Research Methods", but rather "Research Designs". The title is misleading. Although the book offers a good basis for the construction of research designs, it wasn't suitable for my Advanced Research Methods course.
good book with real world focus that makes it very relevant to students
This book is very comprehensive and covers wide aspects of research methodology and is in accordance with the current market scenario as well. The good thing about this book is that it covers the psychological aspects to be considered during the research methods.
Great text and perfect for what I need.
Too general for school counselors. Need a book that specifically addresses psychological or educational research.