Now in an updated second edition, Social Inequality continues to be an essential guide to understanding social inequality and stratification, helping readers to understand what inequality is, how it is defined, explored and measured, and what the key social divisions are at both global and national level.
The new edition includes:
- A global context, offering a comparative discussion on social inequalities, policy, and justice.
- NEW CHAPTER: 'Youth and Age' discusses age as a social construct and form of division.
- NEW CHAPTER: 'Health and disability' defines health inequalities and analyses the current thinkers on health inequalities and their proposed solutions.
- Updated coverage of sexuality and transgender issues.
- Enhanced discussion of migration and asylum seeking.
Chapter 1 – What is social inequality?
Chapter 2 – Social divisions and inequality: social class
Chapter 3 - Social divisions and inequality: gender
Chapter 4 - Social divisions and inequality: ethnicity
Chapter 5 - Social divisions and inequality: youth and age
Chapter 6 – Social divisions and inequality: health and disability
Chapter 7 – Globalization and the global dimensions of inequality
Chapter 8 – The global social policy arena and inequality
Chapter 9- Social policy and its relationship to inequality: facilitator or potential solution?
Chapter 10 – Solutions to inequality: How do we create a more equal global society?