Social Work Practice in Healthcare
Advanced Approaches and Emerging Trends
- Karen M. Allen - Indiana University - Bloomington, USA, Arkansas State University, USA
- William J. Spitzer - Health Care and Social Work Consultant
Social Work and Health Care
This pragmatic and comprehensive book helps readers develop the knowledge, skills, and values necessary for effective health care social work practice, as well as an understanding of the technological, social, political, ethical, and financial factors affecting contemporary patient care. Packed with case studies and exercises, the book emphasizes the importance of being attentive to both patient and organizational needs, covers emerging trends in health care policy and delivery, provides extensive discussion of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, and addresses social work practice across the continuum of care.
Password-protected Instructor Resources include the following:
- A Microsoft® Word® test bank is available containing multiple choice, true/false, short answer, and essay questions for each chapter. The test bank provides you with a diverse range of pre-written options as well as the opportunity for editing any question and/or inserting your own personalized questions to effectively assess students’ progress and understanding.
- A Respondus electronic test bank is available and can be used on PCs. The test bank contains multiple choice, true/false, short answer, and essay questions for each chapter and provides you with a diverse range of pre-written options as well as the opportunity for editing any question and/or inserting your own personalized questions to effectively assess students’ progress and understanding. Respondus is also compatible with many popular learning management systems so you can easily get your test questions into your online course.
- Editable, chapter-specific Microsoft® PowerPoint® slides offer you complete flexibility in easily creating a multimedia presentation for your course.
- Sample course syllabi for semester and quarter courses provide suggested models for use when creating the syllabi for your course.
- Case studies, discussion questions, class exercises, and web resources from the book are provided in Microsoft® Word® for use in your course.
Charting the territory of health care in American society is a daunting task. This text takes on the challenge in a bold and ambitious style that is robust in historical accuracy and insightful when articulating the responsibility of professional social work in today’s complex evolving health care environment. A particular hallmark of this text is the thread that is weaved from the origins of American health care to its current texture.
More than an academic text, this important work clearly and accurately characterizes the skills, challenges, and patient and family-centered work of the present day healthcare social worker. Amidst the turmoil and theoretical debate driven by health care reform, the authors write from direct experience effectively bringing their knowledge into a comprehensive examination of the value and role of social workers in the health care arena today.
“Drs. Allen and Spitzer provide a very thorough and insightful examination of not only the profession of social work, but also the complex context in which social workers must work. The treatment of the history of attention to social determinants of health, the evolution of the healthcare delivery system, and the renewed attention to social determinants through the Affordable Care Act is of interest and importance not only to members of the profession, but to all healthcare professionals and others who wish to understand this rapidly changing industry.”
This comprehensive volume makes an important new contribution to the literature of health care social work. In exploring social work’s changing roles in health care, it offers knowledge that is based both on thorough research and on practice wisdom drawn from experiences of the editors and authors.
Drs. Allen and Spitzer provide a comprehensive and well-sourced review of the practice of social work within the broader context of past and present health care delivery models. Most intriguing is their projection of the future of social work in health care using patient-centered, integrated care, medical homes, navigators, and patient/provider partnerships.
A great textbook for a social work and healthcare course. My students have expressed how excited they are about this book, and course.
Excellent textbook for social workers interested in healthcare settings. The textbook was thorough, interesting and covered important aspects and populations for educating social workers about healthcare social work.