Supporting Mental Health in Primary and Early Years
A Practice-Based Approach
- Jonathan Glazzard - Edge Hill University, UK
- Sarah Trussler - Woodlands Primary Academy, Harehills, Leeds
Child health and wellbeing | Counselling & Therapy | Staff Leadership
Emphasising not just mental health needs, but also the importance of creating a culture of inclusion for all pupils so that all pupils develop high self-esteem, emotional intelligence, social confidence and resilience, this book provides:
- an introduction to key theories that relate to mental health;
- an overview of the current context in relation to mental health in schools;
- guidance on the identification of pupils with mental health needs;
- evidence-based research on interventions to support pupils with mental health needs;
- an assessment tool which will support teachers in identifying needs and planning subsequent interventions;
- case studies of practice from a primary school and early years setting.
Based on action research which has been implemented in a primary school, this important text is valuable reading for students on teacher training courses, and practising primary school teachers.
A hugely important area in education today especially due to the Global Pandemic, we all need to make sure we have the strategies to work with children who have challenges around their mental health, whatever their age. A fantastically helpful book from Glazzard and Trussler, authors in the field of education that you can trust.
Great, pertinent links that help trainees place theory into contexts in their own placement.
Contemporary issues covered with a holistic view for support
really helpful for all sectors I use it on early years and also counselling courses very contemporary .
A clear and accessible text that offers a great insight into this topic. Practical as well as theoretical discussions are had
Mental health is one category in the send code of practice and the one that is rarely used. This book provides key points for practice and supports students in developing their skills
Sample Materials & Chapters
Chapter 6 - Emotional Intelligence