Text Structures From Nursery Rhymes
Teaching Reading and Writing to Young Children
- Gretchen Bernabei - Consultant, Educator, Trail of Breadcrumbs
- Kayla Shook
- Jayne Hover - San Antonio ISD
Illustrations by Andrea Cotham
Literacy (Primary/Elementary) | Literacy, K-12 | Writing (Primary/Elementary)
It’s one of education’s greatest challenges: How do we shape our youngest students, who often are just learning how to hold a pencil, into capable writers within the span of a single school year?
Text Structures from Nursery Rhymes offers the solution: a clear and actionable framework for guiding young students to write successfully in any style, from narrative to descriptive to persuasive.
The key to the strategy lies in using familiar text structures to break down a story into its main components — for example, “Where I was,” “Who I saw,” and “What I thought” — in order to immediately thrust students into the role of the writer.
This groundbreaking book provides 53 lessons, each centered around a classic nursery rhyme, and all the tools you’ll need to
- Capitalize on the story’s rhythm and rhyme to make an instant connection with your students
- Convey the story’s text structure using the lesson’s whimsical illustrations, providing a visual model that resonates with children
- Lead the classroom in creating new stories — in words, pictures, or both — utilizing the text structure you’ve defined
- Put each nursery rhyme to work as a springboard for important language-arts topics
- Fine-tune your approach at every step based on your preferred teaching style and students’ progress
Put Text Structures from Nursery Rhymes to work in your classroom and discover how text structures, already a remarkable success in later grades, can also have a profound impact on younger students’ progress.
Includes eight downloadable paper dolls—1 man, 1 woman, 1 girl, 1 boy, and 4 animals. Your students can use the paper dolls to retell the nursery rhymes, illustrate their own stories based on a nursery rhyme, or even to act out stories from other books in your classroom library.
Sample Materials & Chapters
Lesson 1 - Text Structures From Nursery Rhymes
Lesson 3 - Text Structures From Nursery Rhymes