The How To of Qualitative Research
- Janice D. Aurini - University of Waterloo, University of Waterloo, Canada
- Melanie Heath - McMaster University, McMaster University, Canada
- Stephanie Howells - University of Guelph, Canada
Qualitative Research (General) | Research Methods (General)
Whatever type of data or data collection method you use, it will help you to navigate the nuts and bolts of qualitative research, from forming your research question to effectively writing up.
Your roadmap and toolbox all in one, it helps you choose the best research tools for your project while managing any challenges you might encounter along the way. It includes:· Guidance on putting different research designs into practice, including using technology for interviews, data management, and unobtrusive research
· Practical mapping tools, including checklists and quick tips
· Online case studies and further reading to deepen your knowledge and expand your bibliography
· Advice from experts on how to design and implement excellent qualitative research, including considerations of ethical issues.
This book is the perfect companion for social sciences students carrying out their first qualitative research project.
Instructor Resources (Log-in needed)
- PowerPoint slide templates covering the key information for each chapter, which can be downloaded and customized for use in your own presentations.
- Testbanks containing multiple choice and short answer questions related to the key research concepts in each chapter, which can be downloaded and used in class, as homework or exams.
- Applied learning activities ready to be used in the classroom. These include a research conceptualisation chart to help students design their project, and interview, observation and focus group activities.
This books cleverly steers both new and more experienced researchers through the process of undertaking qualitative research. Its welcome pragmatic approach and rich examples are both useful and insightful, offering a toolkit for doing a wide range of projects with people, situations and different social environments. Whether you choose to dip into a single chapter or use the book as an overall guide, it will help you get started and get published!
Love the tactical advice, examples, and strategies for students to learn and do each of these methods. I appreciate the study questions and resources online, too.
This is an excellent resource for anyone who is planning to undertake qualitative studies. It provides great insight from conception to finish the qualitative project.