The Intensive Interaction Handbook
- Dave Hewett - Independent Education Consultant and Author
Autistic Spectrum Disorders | Language Development | Special & Inclusive Education
The Intensive Interaction approach has spread around the world and has been hugely influential in developing and teaching communication techniques with individuals who have severe learning difficulties and autism.
This straightforward, no-nonsense handbook contains:
- 2 new chapters: The Intensive Interaction Outcomes Reporter; and Autism and Intensive & Intensive Interaction and more able people;
- photo stories demonstrating the approach in practice;
- links to external videos presenting the photo stories in greater depth.
More information on the Intensive Interaction community and approach can be found on dedicated social media pages.
This book is an essential, comprehensive guide for anyone who wants to make a real difference in the life of people at the early stages of communication. With the welcome addition of a chapter relating to Autism and using Intensive Interaction with more able people this second edition of the Intensive Interaction handbook promises much and delivers more!
This book is aimed at teachers, support staff, speech and language therapists, carers and parents who look after and support people with profound and complex learning difficulties, and autism. It guides you through the Intensive Interaction approach developed by Dave Hewett in the 1980s when he worked in a school near London... This workbook is well-furnished with case studies, photographs, advice and tips on methods, approaches and practice.
- Previous edition was an authored text. This edition is now edited by Dave Hewett, who also writes some of the chapters.
- 2 new chapters:
- Chapter 8: The Intensive Interaction Outcomes Reporter
- Chapter 10: Autism and Intensive Interaction and Intensive Interaction and more able people
- Signposts to Dave Hewett's social media presence throughout book
- Addition of Photo Stories which will be supported by videos on the Editor's Youtube page
- New case studies and photos
Sample Materials & Chapters
Chapter 1: The Nature of Human Communication