The SAGE Encyclopedia of Higher Education
- Miriam E. David - University College London, UK
- Marilyn J. Amey - Michigan State University, USA, University of Kansas, USA, Pennsylvania State University, USA
Education | Higher & Further Education (general)
With over 600 signed entries, The SAGE Encyclopedia of Higher Education demonstrates the impact higher education has had on global economies and universities across the world.
• students burdened with higher tuition fees
• departments expected to produce courses and research that have clear and demonstrable social impact
• what the university is and how it meets social and business requirements
This encyclopedia touches on all aspects of higher education through:
• key concepts
• schools of thought on higher education
• role of universities
As an interdisciplinary field, these volumes will prove to be an essential resource for students and researchers in education, sociology, politics and other related fields across the humanities and social science disciplines.
David (education, emerita, Univ. Coll. London) and Amey (educational administration, Michigan State Univ.) take a global approach, presenting today’s universities as competitive, entrepreneurial, expanding, and evolving. Entries address fundamentals but also burning issues, such as uncertainties of employment, the inclusion of disadvantaged groups, and intersectionality. Interactions between the academy and the world, including expected socioeconomic impacts, permeate the volumes. Remarkably thorough, both theoretical and practical, this work offers inspiration for ongoing inquiry.