Understanding Research in Personal Relationships
A Text With Readings
- William Dragon - Cornell College, USA
- Steve Duck - The University of Iowa, USA, Rhetoric Dept, USA, University of Iowa, USA
Understanding Research in Personal Relationships is a comprehensive introduction to the key readings on human and close relationships. Organized into twelve thematic chapters with editorial commentary throughout, the Editors offer a critical reading of the major research articles in the field of relationship studies published in the last few years. Scholarly papers, two per chapter, are presented in an abridged form and critiqued in a carefully structured way that instructs students on the way to read research, and to critically evaluate research in this field. The book, therefore, has a thoroughly didactic focus as the student is given historical, theoretical and methodological contexts to each article as well as an explanation of key terms and ideas.
Key features about this book:
- Cross-Disciplinary use - an excellent book for all students taking human relationship modules in psychology, communication studies, sociology, social work, family studies and other subjects across the social sciences.
- Maps onto course teaching - ideal for 12 week semester term course, covering major themes such as love, attraction, conflict and social networks.
- Pedagogical - `How to use this book' section at the start; chapter introductions and summaries throughout; glossary of key terms highlighted throughout the book at the end of the text.
This text is essential reading for undergraduate and postgraduate students wanting a straightforward, didiactic guide to understanding research on human relationships.
`The main strengths of the book are its uniqueness… its mix of emphasis on methods, statistics, and ideas, its commentaries by the authors, and the well-chosen journal articles' - John Harvey, University of Iowa
This is a very good, up to date book covering new topics, such as cyber relationships. Also, it includes empirical studies which elegantly create a link between theory and actual findings.
This will be a very useful resource to help students to think about the applications of research to their own lives. The writing is accessible and the arguments are brought to life with interesting research examples.