- Denis McQuail, Professor Emeritus, University of Amsterdam
"Using Communication Theory has become a classic in the education of communication. It is the comprehensive and self-evident source for theories and models, forming the base for the study of professions requiring communication planning."
- Larsåke Larsson, Örebro University
What does theory have to do with the practice of communication? Communication planning is used daily by thousands of people: public relations practitioners, technical writers, information campaigners, advertising professionals, organization consultants, educators, health communicators and more. Without a solid understanding of communication theory, practitioners have difficulty getting their messages heard.
The second edition of this best-selling textbook has been updated with the student firmly in mind. With new learning features that directly engage with the practical side of theory, students will:
- Practice what they learn with activities and exercises.
- Apply their own experiences to theory through prompts to reflection.
- Consolidate their learning with highlighted definitions and lists of key terms.
- Take it further with boxed excerpts from classic texts.
Showing how theories relate directly to the planning and experience of effective communication, Using Communication Theory - 2nd Edition provides indispensable insights into the practical nature of communication theory. In today’s landscape of communication overload, this book remains an essential, authoritative guide for both students and practitioners.